How can you be more sustainable?
Every day we make choices in our lives that affect the environment, the climate and the planet as a whole. There are plenty of things that you can do to be more sustainable. Choice we make every day can help to reduce our footprint on the planet and contribute to the betterment of the future.
Being sustainable does not mean being perfect. It is about starting to make better choices and sticking with them. It’s better to start with a few changes and build from there rather than not try at all because you’re unable to do everything sustainably.
There are too many ways to list but here is a quick 10 to consider:
- Make informed choices
- Grow your own garden
- Minimize waste
- Watch your utility bills
- Purchase energy-efficient appliances
- Compost kitchen waste
- Carpool or use public transportation more often
- Plant more trees
- Support organizations dedicated to sustainability
What is a sustainable home?
A sustainable home is an efficient home that’s built or retrofitted in a way that respects resources, optimizes energy and water use, and will last longer with quality systems.
When you make your house more sustainable, you are contributing to improving the environment. But that’s not all. Home sustainability can lower the operation cost of your home by saving energy, water and maintenance on systems and appliances. As well as, creating a healthier living environment.
To make your house sustainable, consider every detail:
- Building materials and methods
- Decorating choices
- Heat, ventilation, and air conditioning
- Plumbing fixtures
- Use of smart systems
- Energy generation from solar and wind
- Your habits for maintenance and cleaning
What sustainable consideration should I do with my home?
The choice for a more sustainable home can vary depending on your current situation. If it is new home construction than you can greatly benefit from the use latest technologies and construction methods. For existing homes, it may be a bit more of a challenge retrofitting to make it more efficient. But there are certainly things that can be done that are both simple and cost effective.
New construction tips for building a sustainable house
Building a sustainable house through new construction aims to reduce waste, increase durable reliability, and improve energy and water efficiency over the lifespan of the home.
- Choose repurposed materials and recycle and reduce waste
- Consider passive solar design
- Install High Performance Windows
- Use Energy Efficient Appliances
- Install smart meters
- Install drip irrigation
- Use eco friendly paints and material
- Install cool roof
- Consider renewable energy options
- Use reputable sustainability contractors
Easy fixes to make your current home more sustainable
If you are looking to retrofit of your home to make it sustainable can be expensive. Replacing windows will cost thousands of dollars. While worth doing, you can also pursue these easier, low-cost improvements to make your house sustainable:
- Draft-proof your doors and windows.
- Reevaluate your home’s insulation
- Install solar panels
- Replace fluorescent light bulbs with LED or CFL bulbs
- Install mart meters
- Update to energy efficient appliances
- Plant Shade Trees